Admissions & Aid


Study Visa/Sojourn Permit

The Florence Academy of Art is authorized to provide the appropriate documentation for eligible students to obtain study visas for the United States and Europe.

Students who are non-US or EU citizens may require a study visa from their local United States, Italian or Swedish embassy or consulate. The documentation required to obtain a study visa will be provided by The Florence Academy of Art in the acceptance packet. It is recommended that students start the visa process immediately upon receipt of notification of acceptance to the program.

Visa requirements are subject to change and vary between consular offices. Students are responsible for contacting the embassy or consulate in their home countries for up to date information on student visa requirements. The Florence Academy of Art is not liable for students not receiving visas for study in the U.S., Italy or Sweden.

The study visa is necessary in some cases to acquire a permit to stay in the country of study. Students will receive assistance from Florence Academy staff on applying for the local sojourn permit when they arrive in Florence or Mölndal.


Non-EU Citizens

In addition to a student visa, foreign nationals (NON EUROPEAN UNION NATIONALS) who intend to stay in Italy for more than 3 months must obtain a sojourn permit. If you are arriving in Italy for the first time you must request your sojourn permit within 8 days of your arrival in Italy. The permit is valid for one year and must be renewed each year.  If you already have a sojourn permit and wish to renew it, you must request the renewal within 60 days of the expiry of the current permit.

The staff at the Florence and Mölndal offices will assist students with their permit questions and requirements.

EU Citizens

It is not necessary for EU citizens to obtain a study visa or sojourn permit.

If you intend on staying in Italy for less than 3 months you are not required to make any formal declaration or request.  If you intend on staying in Italy for longer than 3 months you must register with the city hall of Florence (Ufficio Anagrafico of the Comune in via Baracca 150/p.)

Family members of EU citizens who are not themselves EU citizens are registered with the authorities by the the EU citizen family member.

Regarding Medical Insurance, you should request the European Health Insurance Card (formerly E111) from your National Health Department.


EU Citizens and Citizens of Norway

It is not necessary for EU citizens to obtain a study visa

If you intend on staying in Sweden for less than 3 months you are not required to make any formal declaration or request.  If you intend on staying in Sweden for longer than 3 months you must register at

Non Eu Citizens

Contact the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country for requirements. For information visit


The Florence Academy of Art is authorized to accept non-immigrant students and is part of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), a networked computer system in the United States that tracks information on non-immigrant international students and scholars attending school in the United States.

For information about applying as an international student, contact Alexa Marino, Director of Operations and Student Affairs, at

The following are helpful websites on visa requirements:

Admission and Application Requirements:

Complete the application and follow the admissions requirements and schedule as outlined in the Admissions & Aid section of this website. The Florence Academy of Art’s Admissions Committee reviews the application and accepted applicants are notified within three weeks of the application deadline. Click here for information on:

Eligibility Requirements for obtaining the Form I-20 
Annual Costs for International Students

Complete the Application for I-20 Form with required documentation.

Click here for the I-20 Form Application

Accepted international students are provided with an I-20 Form to apply for the F-1 visa at their local U.S. embassy or consulate. International students must provide evidence of the ability to pay full tuition and living expenses for the first school year before a U.S. visa can be issued.


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Read More

Questo sito utilizza i cookie per fornire la migliore esperienza di navigazione possibile. Continuando a utilizzare questo sito senza modificare le impostazioni dei cookie o cliccando su "Accetta" permetti il loro utilizzo.